IFRS 13

All topics related to IFRS Standards.
Scarlet

IFRS 13

Post by Scarlet »

Hello,

I wonder if Fair value of PPE or IP is inclusive or exclusive of VAT. According to IFRS 13 the price in the principal (or most advantageous) market used to measure the fair value of the asset or liability shall not be adjusted for transaction cost[/b, so I am not sure if VAT can be considered as transaction cost and in the case of consideration I think that Fair value should include VAT.
JRSB
Trusted Expert

Re: IFRS 13

Post by JRSB »

It's extremely likely the buyer will recover VAT anyway if they buy it so the VAT element won't come into play when they decide how much to pay, or when you decide what to price, ie the market value. Do you have a particular circumstance in mind?
Scarlet

Post by Scarlet »

Thanks, what about if the buyer is the physical person and can't claim the VAT? I am just confused about the definition of transaction costs
JRSB
Trusted Expert

Post by JRSB »

The implication would be that you'd value the asset at 20% less than fair value because that person would have to pay VAT as part of the market value. So ignore VAT for the fair value. If a property valuer say it's worth £1m, you're not going to sell it for £833,333 to accommodate the fact that buyer can't recover VAT are you.
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

as I see it, VAT is tax on the transaction and not part of the fair value

but if an asset comes with VAT imposed on the sale transaction and a typical buyer is not able to recover it, then this is a circumstance that will have a negative impact on the fair value of the asset
JRSB
Trusted Expert

Post by JRSB »

I expect that should only be taken account of if a company had a specific asset that was highly likely only to be sold to private individuals on disposal. not sure what that would be in terms of something carried at fair value from the owning company's perspective. interested to hear what it might be
Scarlet

Post by Scarlet »

Marek Muc wrote: 08 Jan 2023, 12:30 as I see it, VAT is tax on the transaction and not part of the fair value

but if an asset comes with VAT imposed on the sale transaction and a typical buyer is not able to recover it, then this is a circumstance that will have a negative impact on the fair value of the asset
Thanks, Marek
So you think that for example if the property value net of VAT is 100k and with VAT -120k, FV is 100k for both cases (buyer can claim the vat or not) or i misunderstood?
Scarlet

Post by Scarlet »

JRSB wrote: 08 Jan 2023, 13:16 I expect that should only be taken account of if a company had a specific asset that was highly likely only to be sold to private individuals on disposal. not sure what that would be in terms of something carried at fair value from the owning company's perspective. interested to hear what it might be
I think about residential property, it is not only sold to individuals but in most cases
JRSB
Trusted Expert

Post by JRSB »

you have residential property as PPE in the business?
Scarlet

Post by Scarlet »

No, I do not have but i think that it may be IP in some cases
JRSB
Trusted Expert

Post by JRSB »

In the UK you typically wouldn't charge VAT on the sale of a residential property to an individual but may be different in your country.
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

Scarlet wrote: 08 Jan 2023, 14:21 So you think that for example if the property value net of VAT is 100k and with VAT -120k, FV is 100k for both cases (buyer can claim the vat or not) or i misunderstood?
The fair value of the property is X. If this is a property that is typically sold with VAT to individual buyers who cannot claim VAT back and thus their cash outflow is X+VAT, then X takes that circumstances into account.
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

Ps. Have you read about the fair value framework?

https://ifrscommunity.com/knowledge-bas ... framework/
Scarlet

Post by Scarlet »

Thanks!