How to judge whether infinite or finite intangible asset - brand as an example

All topics related to IFRS Standards.
Pinko

How to judge whether infinite or finite intangible asset - brand as an example

Post by Pinko »

My question here is how to judge whether infinite or finite intangible assets.

Under IAS38, well established brand is infinite and recently developed brand is finite which seem to be understandable.

Then taking as real examples, such as Zoom and Skype seem to be well established brand as most people use them at least know them.

Are they still recognised as recently developed brand or well established brand?

If you like a fashion, then Channel, Prada, Miu Miu are (at least to me ) well established brand but for guys who are not interested in fashion or somewhere poor country's people would not know that brand, then still we can say established brand?

Equally, such as Nintendo and Sega (for video game company), for ladies who are not interested in the gaming stuff then they never heard of those companies either.
For those ladies recognise those video game companies' brands as well established company?

What is the criteria for the judgement of whether infinite or finite? (Is it to do with when companies established?)

Thank you.
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Re: How to judge whether infinite or finite intangible asset - brand as an example

Post by Marek Muc »

Have a look at paragraphs IAS 38.90-96

For brands you need to remember that internally generated brands cannot be recognised as assets. You can recognise brand as an asset only when you acquire it, usually through business combination. When you think eg about gaming brands it is irrelevant that not all humanity is interested in gaming.

If you're interested in this topic, you can search for M&A transactions in recent years and then look at consolidated financial statements of the acquirer prepared after the acquisition to see how brand was accounted for. And post back the results of your research of course :)
JRSB
Trusted Expert

Re: How to judge whether infinite or finite intangible asset - brand as an example

Post by JRSB »

I would imagine that a lot of the big names like Coca Cola have never been valued for financial reporting purposes, maybe they have for Marketing industry lists 'most valuable brand'...
marea

Post by marea »

For example, Apple ist the most valued brand (according to Forbes, worth $241.2 B) but, as already stated in one of the previous posts, it cannot be recognized as an asset on the company´s balance sheet.

https://www.forbes.com/the-worlds-most- ... 39a636119c
Pinko

Post by Pinko »

Cannot be recognised because of being generated internally, right?
But if I remember correctly, when Apple bought Pixar, then its brand could be recognised in FS???
I wonder like JRSB said a big corporation would not want to value?
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

Hey Pinko, so did you look into financial statements of acquirers to see the actual accounting for acquired brands?
Pinko

Post by Pinko »

No I did not.
Could you kindly give me the example company with link of the FS?
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

That's the work to be done on your side, google is your friend
Pinko

Post by Pinko »

Ok, Goole is my friend to help me out...
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

yep, this research will be your contribution to this community :)
Pinko

Post by Pinko »

I see, contribution to the community.