IAS 7 - Dividends paid as operating cash flow

All topics related to IFRS Standards.
Pluie

IAS 7 - Dividends paid as operating cash flow

Post by Pluie »

Hi everyone.

I encountered an issue regarding cash flow classification and I really don't know why.
IAS 7 p. 34 states that dividends paid can be classified as operating cash flow, the exact wording is

"Alternatively, dividends paid may be classified as a component of cash flows from operating activities in order to assist users to determine the ability of an entity to pay dividends out of operating cash flows."

This words does not make sense to me. It seems that US GAAP specifies dividends paid as financing cash flow.
I tried to search the Internet but could not find an answer. That is why I am here.
Thank you for your time reading this post and it would be great if you share your thoughts. :)

Best regards,
Pluie
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Re: IAS 7 - Dividends paid as operating cash flow

Post by Marek Muc »

Pluie wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 11:50 I tried to search the Internet but could not find an answer.
and what is the question?
JRSB
Trusted Expert

Post by JRSB »

:lol:

Dividends paid may be classified as a financing cash flow because they are a cost of obtaining financial resources. Alternatively, dividends paid may be classified as a component of cash flows from operating activities in order to assist users to determine the ability of an entity to pay dividends out of operating cash flows.
Pluie

Post by Pluie »

Marek Muc wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 12:54
Pluie wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 11:50 I tried to search the Internet but could not find an answer.
and what is the question?
Sorry for not making myself clear. The question is that this does not seem to fit the logic of classifications. Why would paying dividends be part of the operation activities? Would be grateful if there is any example of financial reports that justify their position of this classification.
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

well, you quoted the rationale in your first post :) this approach is quite common!

but the IASB proposes to change this rule in IFRS:
dividends.JPG
https://www.ifrs.org/content/dam/ifrs/p ... osures.pdf
Pluie

Post by Pluie »

Wow, this document provides some very useful information. Thank you so much. :D