IFRS 9 - Loans

All topics related to IFRS Standards.
Feryal24

IFRS 9 - Loans

Post by Feryal24 »

Hello there,

I had a question regarding a long-term loan connected to royalty financing. I just wanted to get a better understanding of if the transaction below would be considered a derivative.

Entered into a $9M loan that requires a minimum fixed amount of quarterly payments of $200,000 that is not interest-bearing and can be settled either in shares or cash each quarter. Also and suggestions on what steps should be taken to calculate the discount rate for this arrangement?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated?

Thank you
JRSB
Trusted Expert

Re: IFRS 9 - Loans

Post by JRSB »

is the conversion factor fixed or variable...
Feryal24

Post by Feryal24 »

Hello there!

The conversion factor is fixed USD 200,000 at the sole discretion of the company to pay back in cash or shares = to the value of the minimum payment.

Thanks so much.
Leo

Post by Leo »

I think it's only a liability, which is measured at amortised cost.
JRSB
Trusted Expert

Post by JRSB »

Feryal24 wrote: 13 May 2022, 19:34 The conversion factor is fixed USD 200,000 at the sole discretion of the company to pay back in cash or shares = to the value of the minimum payment.
But it's a fixed number of shares that convert for each $200,000 of loan, or does the number of shares vary depending on something else (like latest company valuation etc)?
Leo

Post by Leo »

From my understanding, it's variable number of share for a fixed amount ?
Feryal24

Post by Feryal24 »

That is correct. It’s variable number of shares for a fixed amount.
Leo

Post by Leo »

I think this might help :

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=847
Feryal24

Post by Feryal24 »

Thank you.
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

this part is also relevant:
https://ifrscommunity.com/knowledge-bas ... nstruments
Feryal24 wrote: 13 May 2022, 17:35 Entered into a $9M loan that requires a minimum fixed amount of quarterly payments of $200,000 that is not interest-bearing [...]. Also and suggestions on what steps should be taken to calculate the discount rate for this arrangement?
Why is there no interest? is it a loan from a related party? or government? see also this page:
https://ifrscommunity.com/knowledge-bas ... ate-loans/
Feryal24

Post by Feryal24 »

Hello there,

There are two elements within the agreement. 1. Its a royalty financing therefore, the royalty holder will provide an advance of $10M for a future NSR if we were to enter into commercial production. However, for the next 3 years until we do so, they require a minimum payment of$200k quarterly for the next 3 years, totaling approximately $2.4M in payments. There is no interest rate its a fixed amount that should be paid either in shares or cash.

Thanks
Leo

Post by Leo »

What NSR stands for ?
Feryal24

Post by Feryal24 »

net Smelter Royalty
Leo

Post by Leo »

I would recognise the first part, 9m - 2.4m as a payable. and the other part, 2.4m as a loan at amortised cost.

Initially, debiting cash and crediting payables and loan. And subsequently reducing the loan by repayment schedule and adjusted by conversion into shares if needed.

For the payables, I would assess at the end of every year if the project is viable. If not, reverse vs P&L.

When the project is live, I would reverse the payable for the corresponding royalty paid every year, in the P&L until the payables become 0. then, only royalty charges will be shown in the P&L.

Could you please share with us what you finally come up with ? and what's are your auditor's feedback ?
Feryal24

Post by Feryal24 »

Thank you, Leo. Appreciate the input.

I would say that the initial advance on the Royalty should go against the Mineral Property as a reduction as it will be treated as a "Acquisition of mineral interest" since the NSR will be paid as long as its producing, for the Royalty holder this will be recorded as an investment. With respect to the loan repayment I agree, it should be classified as a Financial Liability using the amortized cost. Question the transaction fees incurred for this loan should that go against Mineral Property?

I would be more than happy to share the feedback from our auditors. Just need to put some thoughts on paper before we have the discussion with them.
Leo

Post by Leo »

Sorry, I'm not into mineral sector, by mineral property, do you mean that you book them as a join operation by using proportional method ?
Feryal24

Post by Feryal24 »

No problem. No your essentially selling a % of your mineral rights away.....

Question - Since the loan is non-interest bearing, can you please confirm if the initial recognition should be at the Fair Value and then the loan subsequently accounted for using the amortized cost method?
Leo

Post by Leo »

Yes, I would say so.

Apart from the loan, So, you would credit intangible/tangible assets for 6.6m LC right ? When will you start the amortisation ?
Last edited by Leo on 16 May 2022, 19:31, edited 1 time in total.
Feryal24

Post by Feryal24 »

That's correct. The amortization would begin at the time we are in a position to sell the commodity. At that point we would trigger a deferred revenue liability on our books and draw it down accordingly....
Leo

Post by Leo »

"At that point we would trigger a deferred revenue liability on our books and draw it down accordingly...."

Could you please be more precise, What will be the accounting entry ? Why don't you book a liability in the first place ?

I still think it's more appropriate to book a liability at the beginning. So, please keep us posted ! Thank you
Feryal24

Post by Feryal24 »

Let me think about this one.... I will come back!
Feryal24

Post by Feryal24 »

Looking at this more in detail there is actually a 5 % discount on the shares in case we decide to settle for shares instead of cash. Does this give rise to a derivative now?
Leo

Post by Leo »

Can you be more specific with an example ? I would say no because the total price won't change?
Feryal24

Post by Feryal24 »

Hello,

Of course. The payment is fixed at $200,000, however, we have the option to issue common shares of the Company at a price per common share equal to 95% of the volume-weighted average price of the common shares for the 5 trading days immediately prior to the date payment is due. This means we will still issue $200,000 worth of shares however, the holder of the debt can arguably be making more if they were to sell it at 100%.
Leo

Post by Leo »

In this case, I think it's a derivative liability. You may have to account the liability and the derivative liability separately.
Feryal24

Post by Feryal24 »

Thanks, Leo.

Thinking about this some more, although the underlying value can change due to the discount on the shares, however, it wouldn't meet one of the criteria of a derivative "no initial investment or small investment" since we are receiving a large upfront payment. Right? The Royalty advance.
Last edited by Feryal24 on 19 May 2022, 01:42, edited 1 time in total.
Leo

Post by Leo »

but if the share has a low volatility, and if it's only the last 5 days average price before conversion. The value of the derivative might be NS.

Anyway, you can still opt for the fair value option under IFRS 9 (IFRS 9.4.3.5), meaning that you account the whole instrument under FVTPL.
Leo

Post by Leo »

"no initial investment or small investment", I would interpret it as an investment to enter into the derivative contract by the initiator, which is your company I think.

The royalty prepayment is an investment by the investor.
Feryal24

Post by Feryal24 »

I see what you mean. However, the investor is giving $10M upfront for a future royalty but requires repayment totalling $2.5M over 5 years until the company reaches commercial production. However, if the company is unable to produce the investor would not be entitled to receive the remaining $7.5M. I am thinking that the $7.5M is recorded as a "Acquisition interest in a mineral property" - intangible asset IAS 38 and the $2.5M treated as financial liability measured at FVTPL. Thoughts?
Leo

Post by Leo »

Like I've said earlier, I wouldn't reduce the intangible assets. I would book a payable for 7.5M$ which is assessed every year and 2.5M$ at fair value.

For example, if in year 2, you assessed that the project won't be feasible, you would write off the 7.5M$ against P&L. But if the project is feasible, and in production, I would reduce the payable for the amount of royalties generated every year, until it become 0.