Introducer Fee - Cost to Obtain and Related Disclosure

All topics related to IFRS Standards.
lvb

Introducer Fee - Cost to Obtain and Related Disclosure

Post by lvb »

Insurer enters into 5 year contract with Telco company where end customers pay premium via Telco to insurer to be covered for their risk. The Telco receives a percentage and insurer records net in their books. Separately, the Telco receives a one-off introducer fee at the start of the contract for access to their customers.

Can the one-off introducer fee at the start of the contract be seen as cost to obtain under IFRS 15 ? Would it then be correct to record as an asset and amortize over the contract period ? In terms of disclosure, I would also like to confirm if representation would be appropriate under cost of sales (being associated with the revenue) ?
Leo

Re: Introducer Fee - Cost to Obtain and Related Disclosure

Post by Leo »

I think you are talking about the "Deferred Acquisition Costs" which is capitalized at inception then amortised over the insurance contract period. I think it's part of the acquisition costs disclosed in the P&L. But this need to be confirmed by others from this forum.

e.g. : Note 7m page 290 :

https://www-axa-com.cdn.axa-contento-11 ... ssible.pdf
JRSB
Trusted Expert

Post by JRSB »

I do'nt know if the insurance world would be any different to regular costs to obtain a contract, but I have never opened IFRS17 or its predecessor, so...
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

but this is tricky! Do you have a revenue contract with Telco? It doesn't seem so. To me, the revenue contracts are with individual customers only. IMO, this access fee should be assessed against IAS 38 requirements i.e. whether it's an intangible asset or not. And it would depend on what exactly do you receive for this fee (e.g. did you receive customers' data, phone numbers, email addresses etc)

https://ifrscommunity.com/knowledge-bas ... le-assets/