Revenue and Expense Netting

All topics related to IFRS Standards.
rosyiv

Revenue and Expense Netting

Post by rosyiv »

Hi!

I have two questions relating to revenue and expense netting.

(1) Revenue Sharing - We have an agreement with a a partner brand wherein they share a certain % for revenues we earn on their product brand with us. For financial reporting, can we offset/net their revenue share against the income we recognized? I

(2) Expense Sharing - We are paying our partner brands for marketing fees. As part of the contract with them, our entity is entitled to receive bounty fees / marketing funding based on a usage of the product with their branding. For financial reporting, can we offset/net the amount we receive against the expense we recognized?

Hope you could help :)
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Re: Revenue and Expense Netting

Post by Marek Muc »

1. You need to determine whether you're an agent or a principal:

https://ifrscommunity.com/knowledge-bas ... ss-vs-net/

2. You need to be careful here, it may be the case that you *must* offset the revenue. It largely depends on whether you're receiving a distinct marketing services or not. Read this section:
https://ifrscommunity.com/knowledge-bas ... a-customer
Leo

Post by Leo »

Sorry Marek, for the point 2, I can't understand your point.

The question was about how to treat the marketing funding by the partner, as a revenue or in reduction of marketing expenses. It would've been applicable if the company is the one who pays.
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

maybe it's not clear, I understood that they are paying some marketing fees to their customer
rosyiv

Post by rosyiv »

Hi Leo, Marek,

On the 2nd point - Leo is correct, the main question is how to treat the marketing funding by the partner/vendor, as a revenue or in reduction of marketing expenses.
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »