Thoughts on a book to read during this time

Books, music, movies, sports, travel, technology, cars, gaming, jokes, shower thoughts…
exIFRS
Trusted Expert

Thoughts on a book to read during this time

Post by exIFRS » 04 Apr 2020, 13:09

A friend of mine has been asking people to recommend one book she should read during this "downtime". I think it is a nice approach, there are always lots of books you could recommend, but being asked to distil it down to one book only has a way of focusing your thinking. Me, I recommended Deep Focus by Cal Newport (link below). I would be interested to know the one book others would recommend.

I have always been good at capturing what needs to be done (I was pretty proficient at GTD for those who know the system). And often I could deliver on a lot of it, but frequently it felt like I was working on a just in time basis. And sometimes it meant I just had a lot of things I wasn't doing. Deep Work is about finding focus to do what needs to be done. I am pleased I read it, especially now. This time (of intense lock down where I am) is both an opportunity to focus on deep work, but also a time when distraction can be even more, ummm, distracting.

"Deep work is the ability to focus without distraction on a cognitively demanding task. It’s a skill that allows you to quickly master complicated information and produce better results in less time. Deep work will make you better at what you do and provide the sense of true fulfillment that comes from craftsmanship. In short, deep work is like a super power in our increasingly competitive twenty-first century economy. And yet, most people have lost the ability to go deep—spending their days instead in a frantic blur of e-mail and social media, not even realizing there’s a better way."

https://www.calnewport.com/books/deep-work/

Marek Muc
Site Admin

Re: Thoughts on a book to read during this time

Post by Marek Muc » 05 Apr 2020, 18:59

That sounds interesting, I also believe that the ability to focus became even more crucial these days.
A non-fiction book that I'd recommend: Thinking, Fast and Slow