Earnings based on IFRS Knowledge

Books, music, movies, sports, travel, technology, cars, gaming, jokes, shower thoughts… and any comments or suggestions regarding IFRScommunity.com
arif.asif

Earnings based on IFRS Knowledge

Post by arif.asif »

How can I earn some money based on my IFRS and Accounting Knowledge?
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Re: Earnings based on IFRS Knowledge

Post by Marek Muc »

you can get a corporate job that pays well, but you can also work in freelance consulting or training that pay even more, but there is more uncertainty attached (most freelancers, especially trainers, got a serious financial hit during the COVID-19 pandemic)

what's your age and experience if I may ask?
arif.asif

Post by arif.asif »

Working in Pwc for around 2 years in Audit and Assurance Department along Studying Chartered Accountancy
My Age is 23
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

From what I see in Europe, highest earners left audit after 2-3 years and moved on to work in 'business', they often started in finance depts, but quickly moved on to work in more business-focused teams. So you may give it a try after current pandemic ends
exIFRS
Trusted Expert

Post by exIFRS »

To make money I would certainly look at the corporate route. I can tell you from current personal experience training and consulting has stopped for now. A salary in these uncertain times is something to hold on to. Getting into consulting and training is a lot about luck, meeting someone who is looking for some one. Building something like Marek is doing here takes a lot of time and effort, and any returns are long time in coming.
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

Make no mistake, I lost a lot of money by spending my time building this website and not doing paid work instead, but money was not my motivation at all
arif.asif

Post by arif.asif »

I have a contract with PwC for working for a period of 3.5 years that's why i cant leave it before the period completion.
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

that's interesting, what happens when you leave earlier?
arif.asif

Post by arif.asif »

Actually Audit Firms in my country are bound by the CA Regulators to make contracts with the employees and Trainees. If I leave my 2 years experience will be lapsed and I have to start from all over again even increasing my whole CA Career Time
And here you can't be CA if you are not associated with a Audit Firm and not complete a period of 3.5 years. In Short it's mandatory as per the regulator
Last edited by arif.asif on 02 Apr 2020, 10:56, edited 1 time in total.
exIFRS
Trusted Expert

Post by exIFRS »

I assume you are on a kind of study bond, they pay for training, you have to complete a contract with them? An 18 - 24 month lead time give you some good time to think and plan. In your spare time think about listening to the Focussed Podcast

https://www.relay.fm/focused

Listen from the beginning when it started as a podcast going, or thinking about going, independent. It has overtime evolved into a podcast about focussing on knowledge work that I would recommend to anyone in our line of work (I sometimes skip the interview shows when it is someone in an unrelated field). It might give you some ideas.

I would also say participating in a forum like this, as well as posting thoughts on LinkedIn can be a good way to build credibility in the interim.

I probably could say a lot more, but these are some initial thoughts.
JRSB
Trusted Expert

Post by JRSB »

https://www.iaseminars.com/topics/ifrs/ ... days-55188

Webinars. This chap charges £4k for a week's training which you could probably deliver by just reading from this website...

https://www.wconsulting.co.za/financial.html

Consulting - just need find people getting stuck with their financials.

Also I think Marek and others could set up as an IFRS consultant - fortunately he has other motivations!
JRSB
Trusted Expert

Post by JRSB »

Or how about reviewing accounts for £93,000 a year?

https://www.frc.org.uk/frc-for-you/care ... e-reviewer
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

nice salary!

but it's great, enforcers should earn decent salaries
BTW FRC's review reports are of high quality IMO, probably thanks to high quality staff that they are able to hire
JRSB
Trusted Expert

Post by JRSB »

Yes they have a strong reputation for knowing what they are doing (and rightly so)!