Share price question

Topics related to universal accounting principles and best practices, local GAAP, audit, laws and regulations affecting financial reporting, and other financial reporting topics.
This is also the appropriate forum for beginners to ask any questions, even if they pertain to IFRS.
sowrudy

Share price question

Post by sowrudy »

Hi All

Probably a dump question but I have been curious to know.

Just say my company is ABC Pty, and when I listed the company in jan, I issued 2 shares, $1 each. So just say I received $2 that month.

In Feb, due to good news, my share in the stock market surged to $4 per share. So the market value of the 2 shares I issued, is now $8.

In Mar, I decided to delist the company, and obviously I need to refund to the shareholders, my question is, do I pay them back the initial value of $2 or $8?
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Re: Share price question

Post by Marek Muc »

$8 or even more due to control premium
sowrudy

Post by sowrudy »

Thanks Mark, what if tye total shares I owed to to investors, is larger than the total net assets (especially cash) I have, how can I effort to "buy back"?

Just say below is company BS
Cash 100

Liability -50

Retained earnings -20
Owner cap -28
Ordinary share -2 (but on stock market, the value is 1000 due to some reddit speculation maybe)
JRSB
Trusted Expert

Post by JRSB »

Why would delisting mean you can 'refund' shareholders?
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

@sowrudy - It's more a question of structuring the transaction and that's not my expertise
@JRSB - sorry but I don't understand your last post
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

PS. and what's the point of buying the shares back if their market value is inflated? I'd rather issue more!
JRSB
Trusted Expert

Post by JRSB »

Marek Muc wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 13:56 @JRSB - sorry but I don't understand your last post
question was for poster.... to me, delisting means taking a company private, so wondering why that means you can 'refund' shareholders. perhaps the investment was more like debt. 'obviously I need to refund shareholders' isn't obvious to me!