Consolidation of branches

Topics related to universal accounting principles and best practices, local GAAP, audit, laws and regulations affecting financial reporting, and other financial reporting topics.
This is also the appropriate forum for beginners to ask any questions, even if they pertain to IFRS.
Lasa1

Consolidation of branches

Post by Lasa1 »

Hello
Can someone guide me to basic examples to learn how to consolidated the branches in the "mother branch"?
Thanks
Regards
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Re: Consolidation of branches

Post by Marek Muc »

I'm not sure what you mean, please elaborate
JRSB
Trusted Expert

Post by JRSB »

same principles as consolidating different entities. I assume you mean branch in the UK legal sense which is effectively divisions of the same legal entity, ie you might operate separate P&Ls but legally all the same company. So same as 'normal' consolidations , remove intercompany trading etc, see knowledge base
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

Interesting, are there any befits to maintaining separate ledgers for divisions within the same company? All the management information can be derived from other dimensions after all (cost centres etc)
JRSB
Trusted Expert

Post by JRSB »

In some cases only the activities of a branch are taxable so you need separate ledgers to isolate tax sensitive items, etc
I have seen this for example in France where the ledgers are mandated by law (I believe) even though it was just a branch of a UK company. Then there was a consolidation (albeit all the same legal entity).
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

I see, then it's similar to consolidation as you wrote