Effective Interest Rate Calculation

Topics related to universal accounting principles and best practices, local GAAP, audit, laws and regulations affecting financial reporting, and other financial reporting topics.
This is also the appropriate forum for beginners to ask any questions, even if they pertain to IFRS.
Lasa1

Effective Interest Rate Calculation

Post by Lasa1 »

Hi, I am going through the review of IFRS9 and came accross an example for which I will need some guidance:

Company A invests in debt of 3million $ with 1% discount on 01.01.20x1 (so cash disbursement is 2.97million).
The Coupon rate of the debt is 5% per year , payable on 31 Dec and is itself repayable on 31 Dec 01.01.20x5 at a premium of 5 million.
Business Model : There is intention to hold the investment until its maturity and there are contractual rights to cash flows on specific dates.

Question : Is there a way to calculate the effective interest rate?
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Re: Effective Interest Rate Calculation

Post by Marek Muc »

what do you mean by 'is itself repayable on 31 Dec 01.01.20x5 at a premium of 5 million.'

as long as cash flows are clear, there should be no difficulties in EIR calculation:
https://ifrscommunity.com/knowledge-bas ... rest-rate/
Lasa1

Post by Lasa1 »

I just checked the Knowledge Base, very useful, thanks!
Lasa1

Post by Lasa1 »

Referring to the example in the Knowledge Base : What I would like to learn is how XIRR gets to 7.8% so I learn how to calculate it myself. Is there any guidance on this?
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

it's very easy :lol:

Excel uses an iterative technique for calculating XIRR. Using a changing rate (starting with guess), XIRR cycles through the calculation until the result is accurate within 0.000001 percent. If XIRR can't find a result that works after 100 tries, the #NUM! error value is returned. The rate is changed until:
xirr.gif
xirr.gif (417 Bytes) Viewed 3728 times
where:

di = the ith, or last, payment date.

d1 = the 0th payment date.

Pi = the ith, or last, payment.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/off ... 03ad9adc9d
Lasa1

Post by Lasa1 »

:) :)
Thank You, I might stick to XIRR... ;)
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

ok, so seriously speaking, you should be able to find plenty of information on how to manually calculate IRR, just look it up in google