Correcting Journals

Topics related to universal accounting principles and best practices, local GAAP, audit, laws and regulations affecting financial reporting, and other financial reporting topics.
This is also the appropriate forum for beginners to ask any questions, even if they pertain to IFRS.
Shezzy

Correcting Journals

Post by Shezzy »

Hey guys,

If say company A, when recognizing an expense only debited the expense with X amount but did not credit Bank/trade payable. How do we complete the double entry? What's the correcting journal?
JRSB
Trusted Expert

Re: Correcting Journals

Post by JRSB »

Well what was credited then? or are you asking how to account for a purchase?
Shezzy

Post by Shezzy »

There was no credit. Meaning only one entry was made. How do we correct this using a journal?
JRSB
Trusted Expert

Post by JRSB »

well did the money come out the bank or is it still owed.. I don't really understand the situation to be honest with you
Shezzy

Post by Shezzy »

Yes money came out of the bank.
When accounting for an expense incurred, the client debited expense rightfully but no credit entry was made.
JRSB
Trusted Expert

Post by JRSB »

ok you talked about crediting bank in the first post. go with that
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

I'm surprised that the bookkeeping software even allowed such an entry with only debit side. Or perhaps there was a credit side that was booked automatically, e.g. on some reconciliation account. I would double check that.