Useful life of bitcoin machines

Topics related to universal accounting principles and best practices, local GAAP, audit, laws and regulations affecting financial reporting, and other financial reporting topics.
This is also the appropriate forum for beginners to ask any questions, even if they pertain to IFRS.
MarCanSol

Useful life of bitcoin machines

Post by MarCanSol »

Hello,

Could you please advise what is the usefull life of bitcoin machines? Is it the similar as computers?

Thanks
JRSB
Trusted Expert

Re: Useful life of bitcoin machines

Post by JRSB »

What is a bitcoin machine?
JRSB
Trusted Expert

Post by JRSB »

ok. I think you'd need someone with knowledge of the industry to comment. maybe it gets obsolete for some technical reason, maybe they overheat after 6 months because they're on 24/7, maybe they can go for 25 years solidly.
MarCanSol

Post by MarCanSol »

yes, they operate 24/7. Google provides different terms of usuful life, 1-3 years approximately. I'm just wondering maybe someone else has similar experience and will advise how to amortize them correctly.
JRSB
Trusted Expert

Post by JRSB »

I just looked at a crypto mining company and they use 2 years due to the rate of change of technology in crypto mining .

https://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/docu ... dbe461b732
MarCanSol

Post by MarCanSol »

Thanks, JRSB. The technology changes rapidly and value of these machines declines very quickly.
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

I'd focus at technical obsolescence as JRSB suggested. I'm not an expert in cryptocurrencies, but it's my understanding that crypto mining demands increasingly higher computing power as the ledgers expand. This implies that the same computing resources will yield lesser results, say, a year from now. Given your company's investment in these machines, it's likely your colleagues have deeper insights into this than we do :)
MarCanSol

Post by MarCanSol »

Thank, Marek. Unfortunatelly, my collegues are not experts at all and don't have any idea how to record these machines properly :-)

And as it usually happens, the accountants and owners have different points of view regarding bookkeeping, depreciation and etc
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

Not experts at bitcoin mining that is?
MarCanSol

Post by MarCanSol »

not at all :-)