IFRS 3 - Contingent consideration (Earn-Out) - seller side accounting

All topics related to IFRS Standards.
pratikvdoshi

IFRS 3 - Contingent consideration (Earn-Out) - seller side accounting

Post by pratikvdoshi »

Dear All,

We have partially sold one of our group companies in 2023. The SPA has a clause for cash earn out (payable in next 4 years depending on the EBITDA of next 4 years).

Buyer has to include this in the purchase price at fair value and book financial liability for this in 2023.

I am not sure about seller side - do we book this as part of sale consideration and book the receivable as financial asset or since it is a contingent asset, we book income for this earn out in income statement every year for the next 4 years as it happens?
JRSB
Trusted Expert

Re: IFRS 3 - Contingent consideration (Earn-Out) - seller side accounting

Post by JRSB »

FVTPL based on forecasts at the reporting date
pratikvdoshi

Post by pratikvdoshi »

Thanks.

So, based on this I assume we need to include FV of the expected earn out, in sale consideration for 2023, from seller side accounting. Correct?

Should the fv of expected earn out, to be booked in 2023, be based on our best estimate where we will land in terms of receiving the earn out?
JRSB
Trusted Expert

Post by JRSB »

Forecast the future cash receipts and discount based on expected timing. It's uncertain so best estimate revised at each reporting date.
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

I agree with JRSB. The reference here is to IFRS 10.B98 which mandates recognising the consideration at fair value. Since you've mentioned only partially selling your interest (but assuming you've lost control), make sure to recognise any retained investment in the former subsidiary at its fair value.