Direct equity investment - transaction price & fair value

All topics related to IFRS Standards.
hubertd

Direct equity investment - transaction price & fair value

Post by hubertd »

Hi Everyone,

I have the first direct equity investment to be made. The Company is listed and is seeking the additional equity funding issuing ordinary shares. As per the terms we will subscribe for ordinary shares at a price per share being a 5% discount to the 15 day volume weighted average price of shares on AIM prior to closing. My question is: which share price should I take to establish the fair value of the transaction? I expect the signing and announcement of our equity stake to result in substantial share price increase.
JRSB
Trusted Expert

Re: Direct equity investment - transaction price & fair value

Post by JRSB »

The price you actually pay. Common for AIM companies to issue shares below the traded price when fundraising; there can be limited liquidity and volatility can be high. Price might spike when your investment is announced but doesn't mean you'd be able to offload your holding at that elevated price etc....
hubertd

Post by hubertd »

But I still need to report my holdings at market price which with a spike can result in massive fair value gain pretty soon, correct?
JRSB
Trusted Expert

Post by JRSB »

yes but maybe elect as PLOCI given the volatility expected?
hubertd

Post by hubertd »

Ultimately, I will not need to worry about fair value changes as far as I can see. Given recent share price performance we'll apparently going to end up with +20% stake indicating the 'equity method'.
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

Do either of you know if AIM is regarded as an active market? I.e. 'a market in which transactions for the asset take place with sufficient frequency and volume to provide pricing information on an ongoing basis.'
JRSB
Trusted Expert

Post by JRSB »

Yes I'd think generally AIM would be L1 but I can see counterarguments depending on which company. Some people might hold at using other approaches.
hubertd

Post by hubertd »

Just theoretically, if it wasn't the ''active market' what would be the implications? How would the fair value of such shares be established?
JRSB
Trusted Expert

Post by JRSB »

you could use another valuation technique like cost, NAV or discounted cash flow or most recent fundraise or something
JRSB
Trusted Expert

Post by JRSB »

I don't think an auditor will go for that for an AIM quoted equity
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

If AIM is considered an active market, then IFRS 13.80 applies, so you wouldn't be able to use Level 2/3 inputs.