Depreciation of Diagnostic Laboratory Equipment

Topics related to universal accounting principles and best practices, local GAAP, audit, laws and regulations affecting financial reporting, and other financial reporting topics.
This is also the appropriate forum for beginners to ask any questions, even if they pertain to IFRS.
Asnake E

Depreciation of Diagnostic Laboratory Equipment

Post by Asnake E »

Hi,

Any guidance on the depreciation rates on diagnostic laboratory equipment?
In our country's tax law such assets are depreciated at 15% on the straight line basis or at 20% on the reducing balance basis. These rates seem very accelerated.
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Re: Depreciation of Diagnostic Laboratory Equipment

Post by Marek Muc »

I've moved this topic to 'General accounting and financial reporting discussion'. Please don't post general questions under 'IFRS-related topics', thanks!
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

Tax depreciation rates differ from IFRS depreciation rates in their purpose, so don't depend heavily on tax rates. I doubt that this specific asset class has been analysed in terms of accounting depreciation rates. But you need to estimate an entity-specific useful life anyway. For example, a luxury diagnostic laboratory in Switzerland will replace their equipment more frequently than a comparable laboratory in a developing country. Ask operational managers for their estimates and keep in mind that residual values may be substantial.
Asnake E

Post by Asnake E »

Thank you. My question was on accounting depreciation rates. As you said, it might be proper to estimate an entity specific in consultation with the entity's personnel who might have some knowledge on the useful life of the specif asset.
JRSB
Trusted Expert

Post by JRSB »

you can easily find some examples/benchmarks in pharma companies

do your own staff not know how long the machines will be used for?
Asnake E

Post by Asnake E »

Unfortunately, the technical people in my audit client don't have definitive answers on the estimated lives of the equipment.

I tried to google for examples in depreciation policies. They give range of years in the policy notes eg. Useful lives of 3 - 15 years
JRSB
Trusted Expert

Post by JRSB »

if you're the auditor then it's for the client to make that judgement isn't it. We can't really comment as it depends on that specific equipment and the business etc
Asnake E

Post by Asnake E »

Yes, you are right.
JRSB
Trusted Expert

Post by JRSB »

I worked with a company with diagnostic lab equipment and they used 4-5 years but may not be useful for the reason above.