IAS 16 - PPE transfer to Inventory

All topics related to IFRS Standards.
wizardhinata

IAS 16 - PPE transfer to Inventory

Post by wizardhinata »

If a PPE (lets say Plant Machinery) is now being transferred to Inventory, due to change is nature of use, how will it be done? Will it be transferred to Inventory at Carrying value of the asset or any other amount?
JRSB
Trusted Expert

Re: IAS 16 - PPE transfer to Inventory

Post by JRSB »

lower of cost and net realisable amount.
JRSB
Trusted Expert

Post by JRSB »

cost being NBV at transfer date
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

Could you clarify what is meant by 'change in nature of use'? Classifying it as inventory may not be accurate. It could be more appropriate to consider it as an asset held for sale as per IFRS 5, or as an investment property in line with IAS 40.
wizardhinata

Post by wizardhinata »

Marek Muc wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 19:11 Could you clarify what is meant by 'change in nature of use'? Classifying it as inventory may not be accurate. It could be more appropriate to consider it as an asset held for sale as per IFRS 5, or as an investment property in line with IAS 40.

Yes, i can give example. Lets say entity sells windmills. So it uses iron rods for construction of windmill towers. And such rods form part of inventory.
Now, it had created one windmill for captive use, which is shown as PPE in the Financials.
However after couple years, they no longer need it. So they dismantled the windmill and now the iron rods can be used while making towers for normal customers. So they want to shift these iron rods from PPE to Inventory. This is the nature of transaction.
wizardhinata

Post by wizardhinata »

JRSB wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 11:04 cost being NBV at transfer date

I see, thanks a lot!
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

I see, so some scrap parts are being repurposed. This isn't covered by IFRS, and I'd suggest estimating the proportion of these rods in the total carrying amount of PP&E, and then reclassifying this amount to inventory.
wizardhinata

Post by wizardhinata »

Okay, I understand.

Thank a lot Marek !!