Business Combination- Settlement of debt

All topics related to IFRS Standards.
AQS

Business Combination- Settlement of debt

Post by AQS »

Hello Members,

Have question on purchase consideration paid on business combination. We are looking to acquire an unlisted entity (Acquiree) by issuing our shares. Acquire has share holders loan which they want to settle before entering into this deal.

My understanding is, if this would be a third party i.e. Bank loan & we settle that loan then that would not be a part of business consideration & should be accounted for separately (IFRS 3 para 51) since this is not part of the consideration transferred to the vendor in exchange of control of the acquiree.

But in case of existing shareholders of acquiree the related loan should be part of consideration related to business combination since this is paid to acquire control of acquiree.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Re: Business Combination- Settlement of debt

Post by Marek Muc »

Does this mean that your company will repay the loan upon entering into the deal? Or the acquiree will repay the loan using its own funds before the deal?
AQS

Post by AQS »

We will repay the loan before entering into deal.

Thanks
AQS

Post by AQS »

or you can say this is one of deal's condition that we (the acquirer) settle shareholders loan upon entering into deal.
Thanks
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

then it's part of the consideration,
consideration will be higher but correspondingly you'll acquire net assets of higher value (i.e. without the debt)
AQS

Post by AQS »

thanks Marek!