IFRS 16 Derecognition of ROU

All topics related to IFRS Standards.
amosai

IFRS 16 Derecognition of ROU

Post by amosai »

Hi,

When does one de-recognise the ROU - cost? A lease modification (i.e. extension of lease period assessed under the same lease) wouldn't warrant a de-recognition of ROU - cost right?

Wouldn't this result in an accumulated ROU - cost that will baloon as you lease longer and longer over 10 years?

Thanks for any advice in advance!
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Re: IFRS 16 Derecognition of ROU

Post by Marek Muc »

amosai wrote: 21 Jan 2022, 06:42 Wouldn't this result in an accumulated ROU - cost that will baloon as you lease longer and longer over 10 years?
Can you please illustrate this part with a simple numerical example?
JRSB
Trusted Expert

Post by JRSB »

Aren't you depreciating your asset then? Yes the example please!
amosai

Post by amosai »

For e.g. on initial recognition, the lease agreement was signed with a non-cancellable lease of 2 years with a NPV of 200k (ignoring the reality that it wouldn't be rounded so nicely from discounting).

Subsequently right before the 3 years is up, a new lease agreement was signed for the same lease area so lease modification but not treated as a separate lease for another 3 years for another NPV is 300k.

The balance before the lease modification:
ROU 200k
Accum Depn 200k

The balance right after lease modification:
ROU 500k (200k + 300k)
Accum Depn 200k

On the bolded portion due to how the FS is presented,

(i) the cost of 500k will continually increase if the company continually signs the lease offered by the landlord for the next let's say 20 years, is this correct?

(ii) Or can a company derecognise the previous lease of cost and accum depn (i.e. 200k) before recognising the 300k if it's a lease modification not treated as a separate lease?
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

This is not specifically covered in IFRS 16 but I would increase the gross carrying amount with each lease extension that is not treated as a separate lease.

Does it really matter to you? It's visible in the explanatory notes only. Unless it impacts some of your KPIs / non-GAAP measures?
pub_acco
Trusted Expert

Post by pub_acco »

It's weird that IFRS 16 doesn't cover the derecognition of a ROU, but it doesn't either require disclosure of gross carrying amounts or the amount of derecognition. So they are usually not visible.
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

that's a good point, only the carrying amount of RoU is required to be disclosed, so my question to amosai is even more valid: does it matter to you? does it somehow impact your KPIs/APMs?
JRSB
Trusted Expert

Post by JRSB »

I guess if you have RoU as a class in the traditional PPE note, and you expect a rolling series of lease modifications, you could get to an unusally big cost figure in there even if depreciated.
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

good point JRSB

I guess the outcome would be similar if one bought a real estate instead of entering into a long-term lease
amosai

Post by amosai »

It doesn't affect my KPI per se as I am not standing from the viewpoint of the preparer of financial statements, it's more of a curious question.

It's like what JRSB has said that ROU is in the traditional PPE explanatory notes, mainly because in the current jurisdiction I am in, the illustrative set by the big 4 and the national accounting body does set the precedent that ROU is subsumed into PPE which results to inflating the PPE Carrying Amount hence my question.

Thank you for all the replies!
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

amosai wrote: 27 Jan 2022, 03:58 which results to inflating the PPE Carrying Amount hence my question.
Carrying amount is not inflated thanks to continuos depreciation of RoU
amosai

Post by amosai »

My bad, I meant inflating the gross amount of PPE.
Edwin

Post by Edwin »

Think what he meant was this: when you are doing the note on PPE movements (if you are doing a full financial report for an accounting period) you will usually have a section dedicated to Cost, that tracks cost and new leases and gives the total cost of acquisition of assets. There is another for accrued depreciation. So what, the net book value will always be correct when you are calculating and charging the correct depreciation amount. But when you have come to the lease expiration date what happens? For a normal fixed asset, the item remains in the books at zero value until the time you actually dispose it sell it and therefore it is no longer in you control. At this point you report disposed items in the cost section and the same amount in the accrued depreciation area (Sorry am not certain of the exact accounting terms).
For ROU you effectively lose control if not possession on the date of lease expiration. So if you don't have a line in the presentation to subtract from the cost of assets, your cost of assets is exxergerated.
If you renew and don't derecognize the former in some way your cost is going to be exxergerated. This is because you are including both the cost of the former lease contract, as well as the cost of the new and renewed contract under cost, despite the fact that the former have expired. And same case for your accrued depreciation. But the net book value will be correct.
So to amend that you will need a way to subtract the original amount recognized as cost from both the cost and the accrued depreciation, when you have attained the expiration date.
So my question in addition to the one being asked is what would you call that line? I call it write off, but it does not feel the same like when you use it on an typical fixed asset item which can either be disposed or written off. For the ROU asset the asset has not suddenly lost value, and it has not been disposed.