Revaluation of subsidiary

Topics related to universal accounting principles and best practices, local GAAP, audit, laws and regulations affecting financial reporting, and other financial reporting topics.
This is also the appropriate forum for beginners to ask any questions, even if they pertain to IFRS.
Giannos

Revaluation of subsidiary

Post by Giannos »

If a company A holds over 50% in the share capital of the public listed entity B. I kindly ask you to give me your opinion if company A is allowed to revalue its investment in the subsidiary (Company B) at the end of each reporting year, using the share price of the company B from the active market and to recognize the gains/(losses) through other comprehensive income.

Thank you in advance!
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Re: Revaluation of subsidiary

Post by Marek Muc »

Yes

IAS 27 allows to measure investments in subs under IFRS 9, which in turns allows to classify equity investments as FVOCI

https://ifrscommunity.com/knowledge-bas ... statements

https://ifrscommunity.com/knowledge-bas ... -recycling
Giannos

Post by Giannos »

I would like to thank you for your prompt reply and for the valuable information!

I have another question. Please confirm that if company A holds except of the listed subsidiary B, investments in other listed entities but without control, is allowed to recognize the other investments at fair value through profit and loss, irrespectively with the fact that the investment in listed subsidiary B is recognized at fair value through other comprehensive income.

Thank you in advance!
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

Yes that's correct
Giannos

Post by Giannos »

Thank you a lot!
Leo

Post by Leo »

Hi Marek,

If I have several investments of the same characteristics at FVTPL, is that possible to elect only one of them for FVTOCI ? Is that possible for investments initially recognised as FVTPL to subsequently opting for the option FVTOCI ?

Thank you !
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

Leo wrote: 10 May 2022, 11:10 is that possible to elect only one of them for FVTOCI?
yes, it's an election made on a share-by-share basis
Leo wrote: 10 May 2022, 11:10 Is that possible for investments initially recognised as FVTPL to subsequently opting for the option FVTOCI ?
no, it's an option available at initial recognition only
Leo

Post by Leo »

Thank you so much !