Goodwill on Statement of consolidated cashflow

Topics related to universal accounting principles and best practices, local GAAP, audit, laws and regulations affecting financial reporting, and other financial reporting topics.
This is also the appropriate forum for beginners to ask any questions, even if they pertain to IFRS.
sowrudy

Goodwill on Statement of consolidated cashflow

Post by sowrudy »

Hi Team

just a quick question about goodwill on consolidated cashflow.
As you know goodwill arises from the group elimination (between investment in sub and sub's equity). As the result, there will be a balance of goodwill sitting in the consol. balance sheet, lets say $100.

When it comes to presenting cashflow statement, we will use the consol BS info (of course that $100 of goodwill is now there).
So I wonder where does the movement of goodwill ($100) go considering I can't put it into the category of "investment in sub" because that is supposed to be nil (eliminated already). And even if I put it into that category, which other component of cashflow will eliminate that?

Regards
Sowrudy
JRSB
Trusted Expert

Re: Goodwill on Statement of consolidated cashflow

Post by JRSB »

the whole acquisition is represented by a single line net cash acquired (or outflow) on business combination, ideally with a note elsewhere of the various elements making that number up.
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Re: Goodwill on Statement of consolidated cashflow

Post by Marek Muc »

Consolidated cash flow is prepared after all consolidation eliminations have been done, so the eliminations themselves aren't reflected in the cash flow statements