Accounting Treatment for Mall Owners' Fixed Asset Contribution under IFRS.

All topics related to IFRS Standards.
arif.asif

Accounting Treatment for Mall Owners' Fixed Asset Contribution under IFRS.

Post by arif.asif »

Greetings, everyone. I'm currently serving as a finance manager for a company with multiple restaurants in the UAE. We recently opened a new restaurant within a mall, and as part of our contract with the mall owners, they are providing us with 500,000 AED for the acquisition of fixed assets. However, there's a crucial condition attached to this arrangement: the ownership of these fixed assets will remain with the mall owners for the initial 3 years out of a total of 5 years. After this period, ownership of the assets will be transferred to us. It's important to note that if we decide to close the restaurant before the completion of the first 3 years, the mall owners will retain ownership of the assets. I'm seeking guidance on the appropriate accounting treatment for this transaction in accordance with IFRS. Thank you.
JRSB
Trusted Expert

Re: Accounting Treatment for Mall Owners' Fixed Asset Contribution under IFRS.

Post by JRSB »

Sounds like a landord contribution which is a lease incentive, presumably you have lease for the site?
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

So the mall owner paid for these assets and owns them, at least for now. How is the ownership transfer secured after 3rd year? Also, how long is the lease term assessed under IFRS 16 and used for RoU and lease liability measurement?
arif.asif

Post by arif.asif »

The total lease term for the store is for 5 years. After 3 years as the the lease contract the ownership of the assets will be transferred to the lessee i.e. us
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

I'd treat it as a lease incentive and recognise it as a separate non-financial intangible asset, representing the right to receive those fixed assets after 3 years. Remember to consider the expected wear and tear when determining the value of this asset.
arif.asif

Post by arif.asif »

Therefore, if I consider this amount as a lease incentive, I would subtract it from the Right-of-Use Asset (ROUA) and Lease Liability. Subsequently, I would record it as a non-financial intangible asset. What would be the corresponding entry on the credit side?
arif.asif

Post by arif.asif »

Given that I am acknowledging a non-financial intangible asset, I am required to amortize it over a period of three years, correct? This implies that at the conclusion of three years, the Net Book Value (NBV) of this right will be ZERO. Subsequently, in accordance with IAS 16, I will recognize Property, Plant, and Equipment (PPE) on that date. What should be the assessed value of that PPE?
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

When the ownership is transferred to your company, then you should determine useful life and residual value under regular IAS 16 requirements.