IFRS 16 - Intercompany lease

All topics related to IFRS Standards.
ddtozato

IFRS 16 - Intercompany lease

Post by ddtozato »

Hi there

So, company A (parent company) has a building which is leased to company B (subsidiary).
This agreement complies w/ the requirements to recognize an agreement under IFRS 16.

My question is not related to the P&L but to the asset: when I consolidate company A's figures, don't I have a duplicated asset because the asset lies under PPE and ROU? What should I do?

In company A, should I derecognize the PPE, replacing by an AR?

Thanks
DJP
Trusted Expert

Re: IFRS 16 - Intercompany lease

Post by DJP »

In the consolidated accounts you only have the building (PPE). All intra-group transactions are eliminated in the consolidation process.
kevin.aycardo

Post by kevin.aycardo »

I concur with the above i.e. the lease transaction will be eliminated at the consolidated FS being an intercompany transaction. Your question might be more of how to consolidate the lease - please also check how the lease transaction is accounted for at Company A (i.e. you basically have to eliminate all those interco transactions so that you will only have the building after consolidation).
Head of Technical Accounting (a Bank)
London, UK
Ketan Marwah
Trusted Expert

Post by Ketan Marwah »

Hi,

Just be a tad bit careful with the elimination journal especially if it is an operating lease between the two entities. For reference:

https://assets.kpmg.com/content/dam/kpm ... epager.pdf
Senior Compliance & Reporting Manager
Ocean & Logistics Reporting & Accounting
Maersk Group