advance proceed received

All topics related to IFRS Standards.
daljeet

advance proceed received

Post by daljeet »

Hi,

Would like to check whether consideration received in advance for a disposal of subsidiary meets the definition to be classified as financial liability?
JRSB
Trusted Expert

Re: advance proceed received

Post by JRSB »

is it contractually repayable if the acquisition does not proceed...
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

it probably is as, but I would ask:
1. do you have a contractual obligation to repay it?
2. what are the conditions that trigger this repayment?
3. to what extent are they within your control?
daljeet

Post by daljeet »

See my replies in below.

it probably is as, but I would ask:
1. do you have a contractual obligation to repay it? - as long condition preceding of the contract (change of name from shareholders register, transfer of legal owner to the buyer) will fulfill, no obligation to return.

2. what are the conditions that trigger this repayment? - as explained in above.

3. to what extent are they within your control? - the company do not foresee any problem in meeting the above conditions and fulfilled the conditions subsequently.
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

these are standard clauses, so this is not a financial liability, i.e. your obligation is to deliver the control over a subsidiary and not cash

what's your opinion, JRSB?
JRSB
Trusted Expert

Post by JRSB »

I agree on the basis that the conditions are trivial/administrative
pub_acco
Trusted Expert

Post by pub_acco »

It generally sounds reasonable to classify such an advance as non-financial, but can we also make an argument that it is a financial liability because it is an obligation to deliver another financial asset (stake in subsidiary)? At least in the separate FS this view is correct, but in the parent's consolidated FS, I think the standards do not provide a clear answer. IAS 32 excludes interests in subs from its scope, so the standard is technically silent on whether interest in a sub is a financial asset or not....
daljeet

Post by daljeet »

Marek Muc wrote: 11 Feb 2022, 16:26 these are standard clauses, so this is not a financial liability, i.e. your obligation is to deliver the control over a subsidiary and not cash

what's your opinion, JRSB?
Yes your assessment makes sense on the obligation of the company. thank you.
JRSB
Trusted Expert

Post by JRSB »

Interesting point pub. I guess shares in a subsidiary could be a 'liability' in some cases :lol:
pub_acco
Trusted Expert

Post by pub_acco »

Loss making subs may be financial liabilities :lol:
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

interesting pub_acco's view nevertheless
Leo

Post by Leo »

@ pub_acco : can we say that investments in subsidiaries are recognised in the books based on their historical costs and exempt from the fair value perspective so it isn't a financial asset ? The standard gave examples of shares but it's always when a company buys 100 shares from Apple, something like that. It was neither an associate (equity method), nether a subsidiary (consolidation).

Thus, the cash received in advance in exchange of the shares of the subsidiary isn't a financial liability either ?
pub_acco
Trusted Expert

Post by pub_acco »

That would be a valid argument to support one accounting policy. My point is that the standards do not seem clear enough and we might need to establish our own accounting policy.

IAS 32.4(a) explicitly excludes investments in subs from the scope, so the definitions of financial instruments in IAS 32 do not technically apply, whereas we can also speculate that investments in subs are listed in IAS 32.4 because they ARE financial instruments - obvious non-financial things are not listed there. IAS 32.4(a) is also explicit that derivatives related to investments in subs are in scope, but is silent about prepayments. Some might see similarities between derivatives and prepayments here while others might not.
Leo

Post by Leo »

Thanks !

This remains me another post in this forum

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=772