IFRS 16 Questions (help for case study pls)

Topics related to universal accounting principles and best practices, local GAAP, audit, laws and regulations affecting financial reporting, and other financial reporting topics.
This is also the appropriate forum for beginners to ask any questions, even if they pertain to IFRS.
Rafiki

IFRS 16 Questions (help for case study pls)

Post by Rafiki »

Hey guys, i would appreciate your help, hence i dont really know sm1 with know how about this topic.

my case study is about deutsche telekom AG ( i suppose US version would be AT&T?)

a) Using the information in the notes, but in your own words, describe what are the key accounting issues (i.e., recognition and measurement issues) related to your company’s leases?
-> i dont undestand that question at all, does anyone have a idea how i could answer it?

b) Briefly describe the possible impacts of the currently increasing interest rates on the most relevant lease-related items in the balance sheet, income statement and the statement of cash flows.

-> my idea would be that higher inflation -> higher intrest rates -> in higher incremental borrowing rates being determined for new leases = lower values on the balance sheets? am i thinking right? but what would happen with the items that are already on there balance sheet? would they bei re-evalueted with the higher borrowing rates aswell or not? what effects does it have on them.

c) Referring to your analyses, design one (made-up) example for IFRS 16 to explain how specific aspects of the company’s business model are accounted for under the relevant IFRS.
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Re: IFRS 16 Questions (help for case study pls)

Post by Marek Muc »

a) read the relevant notes about leases in financial statements and see what the management discusses there
b) re. initial recognition - yes, re. existing leases, it depends whether the contract includes any indexation clause. Read more: https://ifrscommunity.com/knowledge-bas ... -liability
c) not sure what is meant here