Correcting prior period error

Topics related to universal accounting principles and best practices, local GAAP, audit, laws and regulations affecting financial reporting, and other financial reporting topics.
This is also the appropriate forum for beginners to ask any questions, even if they pertain to IFRS.
Al-Mahamud

Correcting prior period error

Post by Al-Mahamud »

Dear Brother, what would be the journal entry of the unrecorded bank balance and land?

The previous author skipped that

According to me:

Cash at bank-Dr
Land-Dr
Retained earnings- Cr.

In addition, if the amount is material, should I give a retrospective adjustment as per IAS-8? Or I can only adjust it with the retained earnings?
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Re: Correcting prior period error

Post by Marek Muc »

Al-Mahamud wrote: 23 Oct 2023, 08:38 Dear Brother,
[...]
Should we wait for your brother's response, or is it alright for other community members to share their views? ;)

PS. you'll notice that I changed this topic's title, please don't use generic titles like "IAS 8"
Al-Mahamud

Post by Al-Mahamud »

Sorry. Please let me know the solution. Thank you
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

It's hard to comment on these entries without knowing the underlying scenario. Retrospective restatement is necessary for material errors. I recommend checking out this knowledge base article: https://ifrscommunity.com/knowledge-base/errors/
JRSB
Trusted Expert

Post by JRSB »

Seems odd that bank accounts and land would be 'skipped', sounds like a comprehensive review is needed...maybe you have unrecorded liabilities or revenue too...
Al-Mahamud

Post by Al-Mahamud »

What would be the solution if as an auditor we do not have relevant information and the client is not willing to give that?
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

This should be deemed as limitation on scope. Refer to ISA 705 or your local equivalent auditing standard.
JRSB
Trusted Expert

Post by JRSB »

I would think a limitation would be generous, I would think some qualifications were in order, all depends.
Al-Mahamud

Post by Al-Mahamud »

Now, is it okay to add the land value and bank balance with retained earnings as the prior year errors adjustment and qualify the opinion?
JRSB
Trusted Expert

Post by JRSB »

It's impossible to comment without knowing a lot more information. If you're the auditor here you should probably speak to a partner.
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

JRSB wrote: 25 Oct 2023, 00:08 I would think a limitation would be generous, I would think some qualifications were in order, all depends.
As I understand, limitation can lead to a qualified opinion or even disclaimer of opinion (ISA 705.11-13)