IFRS 16 - Prepaid rent and broker's commission

All topics related to IFRS Standards.
Srikanth1808

IFRS 16 - Prepaid rent and broker's commission

Post by Srikanth1808 »

Hello members,

I have a query about IFRS 16 for which I'd be grateful for a response (or even a direction to the right resources for additional research).

Quick background

Company A has taken a lease for an office space for which it applies IFRS 16 as a lessee. The ROU Asset and lease liability were duly recognized and accounting entries were passed per IFRS 16.

During the lease term, Company A has sub-let the office to Company X. The contractual sub-lease term lasts until the end of the head lease. As an intermediate lessor, Company A must de-recognize the ROU asset and recognize the "Net investment in the lease", in line with IFRS 16.IE8 Example 20 (the sub-lease is a finance lease as per IFRS 16). However, Company A has identified two components for which the treatment is unclear.

1. Company X has paid a non-refundable deposit which, in essence, comprises the rent payable for the first and last months of the lease. In other words, the deposit amount so paid will be adjusted against the first month of the lease (say, October 2023) and the last month of the lease (either March 2025 or whenever Company X decides to terminate the sub-lease arrangement).

2. Company A availed the services of a real estate broker for finalizing the sub-lease arrangement. The broker received the non-refundable deposit (referred to above) from Company X, adjusted its commission charges for its services, and remitted the balance to Company A.

Queries:

1. How does Company A treat the non-refundable deposit received from Company X?
2. Will the commission charges be considered as "initial direct costs" for Company A and therefore be adjusted while arriving at the "Net investment in lease"?
3. If the answer to 2 is yes, would the commission be adjusted against the rent amount for the first month? Or should it be adjusted by way of changing the interest rate implicit in the lease (currently, Company A is using the same interest rate for both the sublease and the main lease)?
4. Would there be a difference in the accounting treatment if the net amount was received from the broker in the first month of the lease, but not before the lease commencement date?

I tried researching these, and I came up with a few answers:

1. The full amount of the non-refundable deposit would be treated as prepaid rent received from Company X. This will be included in the "Net investment in the lease", but as a receipt in the first month (and therefore would not be discounted using the interest rate implicit in the lease).
2. Yes, commission charges will be considered as "initial direct costs" and should be adjusted to arrive at "Net investment in lease".
3. Company A can adjust the commission charges against the lease rental received / receivable for the first month, and need not adjust the interest rate implicit in the lease.
4. Arguable that there is no difference in accounting treatment since the net amount was received from the broker in the lease commencement month.

Could you please confirm if my analysis is correct? If not, I would greatly appreciate the correct guidance (and possibly answers) to the queries. :)

Apologies for the long post - wanted to ensure all the facts and brief analysis are captured here. Thank you so much in advance for your responses and advice.

Cheers!
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Re: IFRS 16 - Prepaid rent and broker's commission

Post by Marek Muc »

How did you recognise the non-refundable deposit at initial recognition of the lease? What are its key terms?
Srikanth1808

Post by Srikanth1808 »

Strictly speaking, the entry hasn't been passed by Company A yet. The current debate is between

(a) recognising the deposit as "rent received in advance" and adjusting it against "Net investment in the lease" for the relevant months (i.e., first and last months);
(b) recognising the entire amount as advance rent (since it was paid upfront) and showing that as an amount received in the first month of the sublease (accordingly, there is no cash inflow in the last month of the sublease); and
(c) recognising the net amount (deposit less broker's commission) as an amount received in the first month of the sublease.

As for the key terms, the deposit amount:

(i) comprises the rent for those two months plus applicable taxes
(ii) is to be held without interest
(iii) is to be applied towards the rent due for those two months. As per local laws, the taxes can be claimed as "input credit" and will not be adjusted against any of the sublease related accounts.
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

I was referring to the original entries for the head lease where Company A was a lessee
Srikanth1808

Post by Srikanth1808 »

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood. That's been recorded as a prepaid expense (asset) at cost.
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

Why not simply added to the RoU asset as per IFRS 16.24(b)?
Srikanth1808

Post by Srikanth1808 »

I'm not sure why that was not done. Would that affect the treatment of the deposit in the sub-lease?
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

To me, it's not really a deposit since it's not refundable, but more like a lease payment you make on or before the start of the lease. Thus, I wouldn't treat it any differently from other payments.
Srikanth1808

Post by Srikanth1808 »

Okay. I suppose you're talking about the initial deposit given.

Could you help me understand how this pertains to the queries I'd raised, please?
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

Your scenario is a bit too detailed I'm afraid... Could you tell me the main issue that you think our knowledge base hasn't covered?
https://ifrscommunity.com/knowledge-bas ... of-leases/
https://ifrscommunity.com/knowledge-bas ... ccounting/
Srikanth1808

Post by Srikanth1808 »

1. What is the accounting treatment for "prepaid rent" received by an intermediate landlord in the case of a sublease? Does it get added to the "Net investment in the lease" amount at initial recognition, or will it get adjusted for the months to which such prepaid rent pertains?

2. How does the intermediate landlord adjust the commission payable to a broker for finalising the sublease? Can it be reduced from the "Net investment in the lease" amount at initial recognition, or should it be charged to the SOPL of the intermediate landlord?

I suppose these are the two main issues. I couldn't find any guidance in the knowledge base, or maybe I'm looking at it incorrectly.
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

I'd show any prepayments received as liabilities and then, at the lease commencement date, net them off against the net investment. Does that make sense to you?
Marek Muc
Site Admin

Post by Marek Muc »

As for the broker's commission, why doesn't it fall under https://ifrscommunity.com/knowledge-bas ... ance-lease
Srikanth1808

Post by Srikanth1808 »

I understood the prepayment treatment. Essentially, it ought to be adjusted against the net investment when the lease commences and not when that amount is applied towards rent.

For broker's commission, I'm confused about whether we ought to adjust the amount against the net investment, or change the interest rate for computing the finance income on the net investment amount.